As someone who has written off and on for the last 25 years (mostly off), I know that I need at least a semblance of planning and organization to accomplish anything with my writing. I do best with deadlines and targets. Without these, my best guess as to when I will write is usually “tomorrow”.
Here are my goals for 2016. This list is primarily for my own planning purposes, but I figure by posting it publicly I’ll also have you to help hold me accountable.
- A standalone novella in The Mystery of Vienna series to use as a possible giveaway to get people into the books.
- Book 3 in The Mystery in Vienna series.
- A novella in the Rocket Malone world.
- Ten short stories (2,000 – 8,000 words each).
- Tower of Fools (A Mystery in Vienna) in early 2016.
- Vienna novella in early 2016.
- Rocket Malone novella in summer 2016.
- The third Mystery in Vienna in late summer/early fall 2016.
- Sell at least two short stories to a professional publication.
- Increase readers in the newsletter through the use of giveaways and insider exclusives.
- Reach 500 members in the Facebook group.
- Reach 1,000 followers in the Mystery in Vienna Instagram group.
- Possibly publish a Tower of Fools audiobook if the sales of City of Ghosts make financial sense.
That’s it! Okay, actually it looks like quite a bit when written out like this, but I think I can do it if I stay focused. When I buckle down and really focus on writing, I can get the words out pretty quickly. The editing takes a bit longer, but it is still doable.
What can you do to help?
Well, first off, thanks for asking.
Second, just keep reading the books, tell your friends about them, and consider writing a short review on Amazon. I don’t base my decisions entirely on sales figures, but I can’t ignore them either. As much as I love Collection, as I write this it has relatively few sales and very few reviews. This tells my my energy may be better spent working on other projects. If you like Collection, please let me know and, more importantly, leave a review.
Here’s to a great 2016!